1. What song do you remember best from college/university?
I hung out with some slightly offbeat people at Uni. The song I remember everyone listening to most are “Ain’t no Friend of Mine” by The Sparkles (although a number of different versions did the rounds if I remember correctly, which I probably don’t). I’m not really in touch with any of those people any more and just now was the first time I’ve listened to it since. I really hate it.
The other song that reminds me of this period of time is “Stand” by REM. In my final year I hid away a bit to get studying done and discovered late night radio. I remember the first time I heard this song and it’s been a favourite since. I’ve never done the dance though.
2) What song best evokes your experience of a study or work trip?
Difficult. I’ve not been on many study or work trips where music has featured much, and I’m racking my brain. Null response on this one.
3) Which song is most likely to bring a tear to your eye (or to make you weep copiously)?
I’ll cry at virtually anything except music. Some of the Mozart piano concertos (especially number 20) remind me of my Mum and that makes me go a little bit, though.
4) What is the best song to kickstart your most creative thinking?
Difficult to choose just one here. Technically the answer is “anything I like”, but if I had to choose just one it would be something quite sparse. Portishead’s “It Could Be Sweet” fits the bill.
5) Which song helps you work when you really need to concentrate?
If you want to concentrate you need something quite long. “Close to the Edge” by Yes does it for me. Sorry.
6) When you’re angry, on which song do you want to turn up the volume?
7) Which song sums up the person you would like to be?
I’m quite content with who I am, really. If anything I merely struggle towards being better-adjusted. For this song I am going to pick “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” by The Flaming Lips because a) I think the Lips are well-adjusted, and b) who wouldn’t want to be a black belt in karate?🙂